Tuesday, March 31, 2009

aiming practice

There is a tournament coming up this Sat, in a club with very small pockets. So, I went to practice in another club with small pockets.
I did some aiming practice with the black for two hours. I noticed some of my pots were just sort of approximated, and they would go on my regular practice table but not when the pockets are smaller. So, I missed a lot of pots.
I think one reason being that I usually aim by using fraction, which is a kind of approximation.
I then changed my aiming method, to using ghost ball. I have made up a board that I could practice at home to train my eyes to see the half diameter of the ball from various angles. I did some practice at home before I went, and I almost ran out a table during my practice. I might have missed one or two balls in the early run, but I was running the balls all the way to the black at the end. Don't remember how many balls there was.
I think this new cue is good for me, 1/2 oz lighter. I put on a new tip after I came home from my practice because it has deformed quite terribly after doing lots of draw and stun at the same spot. I think this tip is a bit too soft.
I will do some more practice at home tomorrow before I go practice. The point is to get myself comfortable with this aiming method. so I can pot all balls no matter where they may be situated.
I still have problem with some funny side pocket cuts, and the long pots. But I am sure I can get over that in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment