Wednesday, April 22, 2009

World Championship

I have been spending many sleepless nights watching the snooker championship live, that I have not been practicing much.
That Cope game and that Ding game was nice.
Davis played real bad, making Robertson play bad for a while.
It is very interesting to see how pressure can change a player's shot selection and the game in general. It is what I have been working on, and is nice to see live example of that happening to the top players of the game.
Marco played good, but it seemed that he is not cueing the long balls well. He seems to be punching everything in, and he cue ball feels dead. I am not sure if that is a good thing.
Ding was playing well in the beginning, then lost it, then got it back. Liang was playing real well, then failed to cross over the finish line.
Perry could not handle Cope, when he looked to be just awesome among the balls once he had a chance. I think that did something to Perry's confidences, that he seemed to lose his sharpness at the last part of the game. Cope was handling well, although I could tell he was nervous.
In today's snooker, if you cannot pot under pressure, you will not win against the top players. And it seems that a lot of players are letting the pressure got to them to the point of affecting their potting. Lots of balls were missed, black off the spot, and so on.
Pressure is something that only exists when you allow it to, it is like fearing the dark. It is created by the person and manifested by himself. It is like a monster one creates. It is easy to say this, but very difficult to handle it.
If you keep thinking about what could go wrong, and keep dwelling on the negative, you will keep getting more and more scare. But another person in the same situation might not feel that pressure at all if he does not think too much about it.
For me, I now practice thinking of my ability and telling myself I can pot these balls. I try to imagine I am in a game, but I still pot balls after balls, even though I am playing the perfect player.
It is a training of the mind, to not get scared afraid of missing and thinking too much of what would happen if I miss and so on.
My long potting is getting really well now, but my cut shot is still not consistent. I cannot really see that spot consistently still. But I will.
Going back to watching the championship. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment