Monday, February 23, 2009

Stun Follow

I have practiced some straight potting for over two hours today(Sunday). I spent a lot of time on my power follow, and stun follow, which have been my weakness.
I am happy to report that I think I have found out the problems, which are my hand not opening up enough on my back swing, and my back swing being too tense.
I won the tournament on Sat, playing okay. Still not used to some of the shots with my new aiming method.
Spent more time on the practice table, and am much more comfortable now.
I was partnered with D on Sat, and have noticed that he actually pots quite poorly. He tried to tell me to play several shots differently when I was already ready to shot, and that threw me off. I did not like his suggestion.
I played bad on those shots. i should have told me I dont want to do what he siad, then ask him to leave me alone, then recompose myself, completely block him out, before I shot.
I did not notice this before but I think at times his shot selection is not that good and he sometimes cues really funny. His potting also is not that consistent, especially his side pocket. I think it is because of his long bridge and his yo yo cuing action. He mostly keep his elbow up but sometimes he is really bad. The pockets are big so he could get away with it.
I learned a very useful shot from him watching him play, which is a shot playing with stun check side to play for the blue.
I am sure with more practice I will be better than him.
I am very close to him anyway. It is just a mental thing for me to beat him constantly.
What I do now when I play, is that I will just trust my instint on my aiming, while in practice I will try to analysis the angles and such.
My judgement on the angles have been quite spot on even when i am not analysing it to the final dots on every shot like I used to. That was the reason why I felt so exhausted so easily.
I am doing alright except a few funny shots, where I have no glue how to aim.
I will work on those next week.
I read Steve Davis's book today. Felt a lot like Cliff Thorburn's book. Too bad he did not suggest any safties diagrams on the last chapter.
One thing that was very good was how he explain he difference with 3/4 and 1/2 shots.
--with 1/2 you can move the ball move without hitting it hard, but the positioning options are more limited, with 3/4, you can move the ball to more places, but if you need to move it far, you need to do more with the white.
This really helps me because sometimes I do not know whether I should leave a 3/4 or 1/2 ball on my ball.
The blue ball is the same way.
Speaking of the blue ball, my blue is running better now, after I started doing the blue ball drill. I will make it a point to practice running the blue ball in my practice with a line of red by the pink, and some above the black and around the blue. When the black is tied up, being able to run the blue will win me lots of frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment