Monday, February 9, 2009

Talking to a friend

I did very poorly on Sat. Just could not get into the double format. Could not enjoy myself and missed so many easy chances.
I was very mad at myself, so I had a long talk with my friend. He is about 76, had some decent breaks before, and is still quite a good player.
He told me I would be a great player, as he sees lots of potential in me, that I will keep improving and become better than all the guys I now play with, including D.
However, he also pointed out that he noticed I was sometimes very tense, and do not look like the same person, during some matches. He said I stroked differently when i am playing back.
He told me to have confident, and play my best.
He basically put the confidence in me. No one ever told me I have talent the way he did, and I guess I just did not really know that.
But once he put it the way he did, I felt much better. Then I played with D. Usually I would play with a poor attitude, but this time I was very focus, with a good rhythm.
I reminded myself to touch the chest with my grip on my follow through, and to just play with the same rhythm.
I played really well with a 41 right off my first chance. I did surprised myself and missed another chance, but then I took my third chance and finished the game up to the green. He conceded.
Second time he was not playing well, but I missed a yellow into the middle to go down table into the pack. Had perfect position, so that gave him a good opening. Lost that frame. The yellow miss was the key shot.
Practiced some more while D had to go have his dinner. He watched me practice. I was really int he zone, I think I must have finished all 15 reds in 2 inning or something like that, then i got perfect on the yellow from my black, and D unscrewed his cue and told me he was tired and did not feel like playing anymore.
I think hearing K telling me that he expected me to beat D already really put a lot of confidence in me. He also told me D looked different when he played me, because he knew I am better than other people he plays with. I never looked at it this way but it is true.
If I can be a consistent 40+, 50+ player I can beat D convincingly. Then I need to go up to the next level, which is to win more frames with one visit.
S told me he had run back to back century, I so wish that will come to me one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment